VERY IMPORTANT: There are two different models of the Muse headband which have minor Bluetooth differences. All you need to do is determine whether the power button on your headband has an icon on it, and follow the correct instructions below.
If your headband has a power icon on the button and blue "Muse" text on the earpiece, read the next section. If your headband has a blank button without a symbol, click here to scroll down to the second section of this page.
If you are using an Android device or tablet, please ensure your Location service is enabled. Unfortunately, Google's recent updates to Android require Bluetooth LE devices to access a user's location. This change forces us to ask for location permissions in the Muse application. For more information please click Why does the Android Application ask for my location?
IF YOUR HEADBAND HAS "MUSE" WRITTEN BLUE TEXT AND A POWER ICON ON THE BUTTON:
First ensure your Muse has a decent charge, then proceed with these new steps to get started. Note that Muse cannot be paired or used while it is plugged in and charging:
1. Turn Bluetooth on in settings for your phone/tablet.
2. Open the Muse app and tap "Start Session"
3. Select the headband image on the right side of the screen [button with power symbol].
4. Turn on your headband. (press the power button located on the right inner side of your headband.)
5. Wait for the word "Muse" to appear in the list, and tap on it to connect.
6. Put on your headband, ensure your volume is turned up, and proceed through the signal quality check screen.
If it doesn't seem to be working, try force closing all applications, turning off your headband and starting again.
If you are still having troubles, please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you further.
IF YOUR HEADBAND HAS "MUSE" WRITTEN IN GREY TEXT AND NO POWER ICON IN THE BUTTON:
In order for your headband to connect with your device, it must be paired first. Once the headband is paired with your device, it should automatically connect when you open the Muse app. However, if you are having difficulties follow the troubleshooting instructions below. Note that Muse cannot be paired or used while it is plugged in and charging:
1. Ensure that your Muse is fully charged and that you have downloaded and installed the app.
2. Force quit the app to reset it:
- To force quit the app on iOS (Apple) devices: press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the Muse app. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it. It may be best to force quit all open applications.
- To force quit the app on Android devices: open the Settings menu/icon on your device. Then tap “Applications” or “Apps” and select the Muse app from the list of all apps. Then tap “Force Stop”.
3. Click on the Settings Icon on your device, open the Bluetooth settings and forget the Muse:
- To forget Muse on iOS devices: If the Muse is listed in "My Devices" click the blue circle with an "i" inside it and forget this device.
- To forget Muse on Android: If Muse is listed in your "Paired Devices" click the gear icon beside it and Unpair it.
4. Next, put the headband in pairing mode by holding its button down for a full 6 seconds (keep holding the button until all 5 lights are blinking on and off together). Only then will the headband be visible on your device's Bluetooth settings.
5. In the Bluetooth settings screen and enable Bluetooth. Then wait for it to scan for devices. When Muse appears in the list, tap it to pair and wait a few moments for a connection.
- The following video (How to Pair Muse with IOS) can guide you through Steps 3 and 4 on iOS.
- The following video (Pairing your Muse headband with Android) can guide you through pairing Muse with an Android device.
6. Open the app and click Start Session.
7. Select the headband image on the left side of the screen [button without power symbol]; then wait for it to connect.
8. Put on your headband, ensure your volume is turned up, and proceed through the signal quality check screen.
If you still can’t connect, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you further.